We love to share recipes of various Afro multicultural cuisines, to celebrate the rich and delicious variety of food from the motherland and the motherland diaspora. This week on our Afro Cuisine recipe is Kansiye. It is another #TastyThursday and we want you to savor a taste of Africa. You can search for the ingredients in African stores around you; or better still take a trip to Africa and give your tastebuds a treat.
Kansiyé is a delicious stew which is served with rice, lentils can be used by vegetarians instead of beef. It is a delicious traditional dish in Guinea, West Africa and it is easy to make.
Ingredients for Kansiye
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- cooked rice, to serve
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb beef or lamb, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Brown and tenderize meat in oil in 10-inch frying pan.
- Add onion, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, parsley and clove.
- Combine tomato sauce and 1 cup water, add to meat mixture and stir well. Dilute peanut butter in remaining cup of water and add to mixture.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 hour, or until meat is tender. Serve hot over the cooked rice, And enjoy.
- Soak lentils in plenty of cold water for at least 2 hours. Rinse & drain,.
- Brown onion, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, parsley and clove.
- Combine tomato sauce and 1 cup water with the stock cube, add to lentils mixture and stir well. Dilute peanut butter in remaining cup of water and add to mixture.
- Add bicarb of soda & cook in a covered pan, over medium heat for 1 hour, or until lentils are soft. You may need to add a little extra water / stock.
- Serve hot over the cooked rice.
Beef Recipe from Recipeofhealth
Lentil Recipe from Food.com