This week on our Afro Cuisine recipe is Ifinkubala. It is another #TastyThursday and we want you to savor a taste of Africa. You can search for the ingredients in African stores around you; or better still take a trip to Africa and give your tastebuds a treat.
Eating is ingrained in Zambian culture, from social events such as barbeques to pre-wedding events where a groom is treated to a buffet of traditional dishes from his bride’s family.
Caterpillars in Zambia are called ‘ifinkubala‘. They are usually fried in oil, or boiled for a few minutes then fried in oil, and are served with tomatoes and onion and nshima( another local and popular Zambian dish).
Ingredients For Ifinkubala
- Dried caterpillars 3 teacups
- 200mls cooking.
- 2 medium tomatoes and 1 medium onion
- Salt to taste
- First wash the caterpillars twice in cold water.
- Remove from cold water and soak them in warm water.
- Allow the water to cool so that the caterpillars can be soft.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and fry them for 20 minutes.
- Add grated tomatoes and onions.Cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir, add salt and cover for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allowed to cool.
You can enjoy it as a snack or serve with Nshima or as sides for any Dish.