Mielie Pap and Gravy with Boerewors, a south African dish, is on the menu this week on our Afro Cuisine recipe.
It is another #TastyThursday and we want you to crave for a taste of an African dish.
You can search for the ingredients in African stores around you; or better still take a trip to Africa and give your taste buds a treat.
Mielie Pap and Gravy with Boerewors is very popular in South Africa; everyone enjoys it, including visitors from other countries.
Today on our tasty Thursday, we will be giving out recipes on Mielie Pap and Gravy with Boerewors. Enjoy!
- MIELIE PAP
4 cups of water
1 TBS coarse salt
2 cups of mielie meal
4 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tablespoons chilli flakes
1 tablespoon coriander
28 oz chopped and diced tomatoes
3 cups of white onions – diced
3 tablespoons tomato sauce/ketchup
2 tablespoons Woestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup of water
Coarse Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- BOEREWORS/ SAUSAGE
2 pounds of Boerewors or similar sausage (preferably in a loop)
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MIELIE PAP AND GRAVY WITH BOEREWORS
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add the mielie meal and mix together well with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium/low. Cover securely with a lid and simmer. Open the pot and stir occasionally during the cooking and reseal. Cook for 15minutes, get your desired thickness and it’s ready.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan on medium heat. Cook the onions with the chilli flakes and coriander, for 8 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, ketchup, woestershire sauce, sugar and water.
- Cook for 30 minutes till sauce thickens and water evaporates. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the grill on high heat. Cook the borewors for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve. Place the borewors on a large platter or board. Serve alongside the mielie pap & gravy. Garnish with some green fresh herbs.